To view a PDF document, you must have Adobe Reader. Click here to install or upgrade, for free!
In order to legally
keep honey bees in Louisiana there
are few simple requirements.
The information here is not
to discourage anyone from keeping bees, but rather to
encourage you to become a registered beekeeper
in Louisiana. It is a simple process and the Louisiana
Beekeepers Association (LBA) encourages and will support
anyone who wants to become a registered Louisiana
beekeeper! For a brief walk though of the process you
contact any Board
Member, or visit the "Local
Clubs" page and see if there is club near
you. Also, please support those who support the
LBA, click here for their avertisement.
1. Check with you local city ordinance before acquiring any honey bees. In just a few areas in the state it is not legal to have bees. If it is not legal in your area get with a friend who lives in an area where it is legal. People do this all the time and still enjoy their bees.
2. You must register your bees with the Department of Agriculture & Forestry. This is not complicated Click here to view a printable form, fill it out, then mail it to: Horticulture & Quarantine Programs. P.O. Box 91081, Baton Rouge, La 70821-9081
*On a special note: People wanting to keep bees within the city limits of Hammond, La. must also register their bees with the permit office. Their contact number is (985) 277- 5640, ask for Donna or Nash. No paper work involved and no fees required. They just want to know where the bees are going to be.
Mosquito Control: It is very important you register each location you will be keeping your bees with your local Mosquito Control District. Click here to locate your local office. Please do not ignore this advice! The LBA is working very close with the Mosquito Control Association to avoid any unnecessary bee kills from the application of insecticides either by truck or by air.
Louisiana, Get Your's Today
You Can Help Save The Honey Bee!
The "Save The Honey Bee" License Plate is Now Available for all Louisiana Residents!
To Purchase, just follow the instructions below.
The cost is $25.00 (royalty fee) per year plus all applicable fees that would normally apply to any Louisiana plate. In addition, the first year there is a onetime handling fee of $8.00 and an administration fee of $3.50. Remember, when you purchase this plate it is a two year plate, so the cost will be $50.00. You should get some credit for time left on your old plate, but don't expect to much. Please note that if you are replacing a four year plate you will only get credit for a portion of a two year plate.
The royalty fees will be used solely for financial aid for graduate students working on applied honey bee research projects at the U.S. Department of Agriculture Research Laboratory in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
To order your "Save the Honey Bee" license plate, follow the instructions below.
2. Type in your existing license plate number then press submit, you will go to a new page.
3. At the top of this page you will see the different types of plates. Choose "Special Interests" and scroll down through the list to "Save the Honey Bee" click on it. The cost of the plate showing that it is good for two years will pop up.
4. In the lower left side of this page press the link "Ordering Details", you will go to a new page.
5. In the lower left side of this page press the link "Order Form", you will go to a new page.
6. Print the form, fill it out, include your check or money order, a copy of your current registration and proof of insurance. Mail it in.
7. If for some reason you cannot complete the process online, you will see a contact number on their website. Call them and they will walk you through the process