Commercial Business Ads, Only $25.00 Annually. For Details Click Here
Attention all Louisiana beekeepers who's
annual gross honey
sales are below twenty thousand dollars.
There is a Louisiana State law that you need to
know about, R.S.40:4.9
Click here to read
Gov. Bobby Jindal signed
into law Friday, June 5, 2015 a bill that removes a
labeling requirement for unpasteurized or
Richard "Richie" Burford,
exempts beekeepers from section D.(1) (2) (a) (b) of
|In order to legally keep honey bees in Louisiana there are few simple requirements. The information here is not to discourage anyone from keeping bees, but rather to encourage you to become a registered beekeeper in Louisiana. It is a simple process and the Louisiana Beekeepers Association (LBA) encourages and will support anyone who wants to become a registered Louisiana beekeeper! For a brief walk though of the process you can contact any Board Member, or visit the "Local Clubs" page and see if there is club near you. Also, please support those who support the LBA, click here for their advertisement.|
1. Check with you local city ordinance before acquiring any honey bees. In just a few areas in the state it is not legal to have bees. If it is not legal in your area get with a friend who lives in an area where it is legal. People do this all the time and still enjoy their bees.
2. You must register your bees with the Department of Agriculture & Forestry. This is not complicated Click here to view a printable form, fill it out, then mail it to: Horticulture & Quarantine Programs. P.O. Box 91081, Baton Rouge, La 70821-9081
Mosquito Control: It is very important you register each location you will be keeping your bees with your local Mosquito Control District. Click here to locate your local office. Please do not ignore this advice! The LBA is working very close with the Mosquito Control Association to avoid any unnecessary bee kills from the application of insecticides either by truck or by air.
Louisiana, Get Yours Today
You Can Help Save The Honey Bee!
The "Save The Honey Bee" License Plate is Now Available for all Louisiana Residents!
To Purchase, just follow the instructions below.
The cost is $25.00 (royalty fee) per year plus all applicable fees that would normally apply to any Louisiana plate. In addition, the first year there is a onetime handling fee of $8.00 and an administration fee of $3.50. Remember, when you purchase this plate it is a two year plate, so the cost will be $50.00. You should get some credit for time left on your old plate, but don't expect to much. Please note that if you are replacing a four year plate you will only get credit for a portion of a two year plate.
The royalty fees will be used solely for financial aid for graduate students working on applied honey bee research projects at the U.S. Department of Agriculture Research Laboratory in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
To order your "Save the Honey Bee" license plate, follow the instructions below.
2. Type in your existing license plate number then press submit, you will go to a new page.
3. At the top of this page you will see the different types of plates. Choose "Special Interests" and scroll down through the list to "Save the Honey Bee" click on it. The cost of the plate showing that it is good for two years will pop up.
4. In the lower left side of this page press the link "Ordering Details", you will go to a new page.
5. In the lower left side of this page press the link "Order Form", you will go to a new page.
6. Print the form, fill it out, include your check or money order, a copy of your current registration and proof of insurance. Mail it in.
7. If for some reason you cannot complete the process online, you will see a contact number on their website. Call them and they will walk you through the process